Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Unit 10

I never really paid much attention to search engines beyond the general concept of I put something in and it gives me some directions on where on the web to look further. Granted, often times finding what I wanted took slightly more effort, but overall it was a fairly mundane task that I carried out constantly. That is until recently! Through my studies within the M.L.I.S. program, and some personal interest in long term research goals, web searches have become something of an interest to me.

Web Search Engines:

· The complexity of web searches is amazing.

· The idea of Politeness in the crawling algorithms made me laugh, but I can see the problems that would be created without such features.

· Never realized that by linking on your site it would increase its rank.

Metadata Harvesting:

· Was a long read that I really struggled to understand for the most part.

The Deep Web:

· Interesting idea, something I never had heard of.

· Decent article, the illustrations made the concepts more concrete and a lot more understandable.

Comments:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4181925387762663697&postID=3072857614832667163&page=1

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2401688410692832555&postID=2737934434046300518&page=1


Muddiest point: Just about everything in the Metadata article! I know I am late posting this, but I think I lost track of what I should be posting and when. I can hopefully make up some ground this week. Also; With the use of spam rejection techniques used by crawlers, does this eliminate or reduce the threat of “goggle bombs?”

No comments: